Wicked UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wicked UK

Wicked Uk

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

- Wicked - The Book

Go down 
+28
ElphabaForLife
Elphie Lives
//Sally
Shelinda
Emmy
Hannahbelle
Michelle
*ElphabaEvenstar*
popster_rox
ElphieRocks
Emily
missnessa
stephy..
Andrewy89
Gemtps
funkydoriee
wicked_mad
Star2bno1
GlindaInTheMaking
Lucy
Bastila
Bekhee
kelly
Stacie
Indy
jo132000
Emma Jane
Debbie123
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
missnessa
Ozian
Ozian
missnessa

Female Number of posts : 188
Job : Assistant
Registration date : 2007-01-10

- Wicked - The Book - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: - Wicked - The Book   - Wicked - The Book - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 14, 2007 2:50 pm

Is Son of a Witch supposed to be linked to Wicked? I thought that it was a completely different book/story altogther... Please could someone clear this up :) lol
Back to top Go down
Emily
Munchkinlander
Munchkinlander
Emily

Female Number of posts : 258
Job : Ask me again sometime... I'm unsure.
Registration date : 2007-01-09

PostSubject: Re: - Wicked - The Book   - Wicked - The Book - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 14, 2007 2:52 pm

missnessa wrote:
Is Son of a Witch supposed to be linked to Wicked? I thought that it was a completely different book/story altogther... Please could someone clear this up :) lol

It's the sequel to Wicked. Post-Wicked, Post-Wizard-of-Oz (book/film). I didn't think it was nearly as good as Wicked... And that needs to be said with the caveat that I didn't actually like Wicked (the book) all that much, because I think Gregory Maguire is a crap writer. ( :Pt: )
Back to top Go down
http://mediaevalstudy.livejournal.com
missnessa
Ozian
Ozian
missnessa

PostSubject: Re: - Wicked - The Book   - Wicked - The Book - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 14, 2007 2:57 pm

I really enjoyed reading Wicked... but I must admit that it wasn't as good as I thought it would be.

So does it contain the same characters and stuff?
Back to top Go down
Emily
Munchkinlander
Munchkinlander
Emily

PostSubject: Re: - Wicked - The Book   - Wicked - The Book - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 14, 2007 2:58 pm

Yep -- most of them. It's clearly an attempt to cash-in on the hype that's now surrounding Wicked, but it's still worth a look, particularly if (like I was) you're a bit peeved at all the threads Mr Maguire left hanging at the end of Wicked.
Back to top Go down
missnessa
Ozian
Ozian
missnessa

PostSubject: Re: - Wicked - The Book   - Wicked - The Book - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 14, 2007 3:00 pm

I am :P I think I may buy it then. Thanks for the information. :)
Back to top Go down
Bastila
Ozian
Ozian
Bastila

Female Number of posts : 232
Job : Student/DeathDealer/Power Ranger/X-men
Registration date : 2006-12-30

PostSubject: Re: - Wicked - The Book   - Wicked - The Book - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 15, 2007 1:08 pm

Emily wrote:

It's the sequel to Wicked. Post-Wicked, Post-Wizard-of-Oz (book/film). I didn't think it was nearly as good as Wicked... And that needs to be said with the caveat that I didn't actually like Wicked (the book) all that much, because I think Gregory Maguire is a crap writer. ( :Pt: )

Oh I am so happy to see someone else think that, after a while I had a hard time reading Wicked I forced myself to finish it lol.
Thats why Son of a Witch I'm like do I want to read another one of his books just yet lol.
Back to top Go down
Gemtps
Winkie
Winkie
Gemtps

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2007-01-07

PostSubject: Re: - Wicked - The Book   - Wicked - The Book - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 16, 2007 6:01 am

Emily wrote:
I always thought he was saying she did die, but, in fairy tales, characters never really die -- they're always back the next time someone tells the story, the next time children sit with their mouths hanging open waiting to hear if the witch will be bested, and the next time someone waits breathlessly for the ending to come. Storybook characters live forever, so long as someone remembers their stories. So, of course, she lives on -- so long as people remember her.

That's a fabulous way of looking at things. I like that.
I was very surprised at the ending of the show having read the book but now I like to think that that is actually the real ending and the book just failed to mention that part !!! :Love:
Back to top Go down
ElphieRocks
Shiz Student
Shiz Student

Female Number of posts : 3395

PostSubject: Re: - Wicked - The Book   - Wicked - The Book - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 16, 2007 7:01 am

I was soo happy when she was still alive in the musical! It was a great surprise! But after reading the book, and the last bit made me wanna cry! ...but then when he ends it with the quote from the 'Wizard of oz'....now i feel that he's kinda saying people think she's dead but she really is alive! Like the Ozma lady, but in the castle! If that makes any sense?!?! lol
Back to top Go down
missnessa
Ozian
Ozian
missnessa

PostSubject: Re: - Wicked - The Book   - Wicked - The Book - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 16, 2007 11:20 am

I think that she lives on in the book as well as the musical :)

It was a huge shock but a huge delight when she rises up after you think that she has died in the musical. Everyone just starts cheering. It's so emotional :P
Back to top Go down
Emily
Munchkinlander
Munchkinlander
Emily

PostSubject: Re: - Wicked - The Book   - Wicked - The Book - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 16, 2007 2:06 pm

Bastila wrote:

Oh I am so happy to see someone else think that, after a while I had a hard time reading Wicked I forced myself to finish it lol.
Thats why Son of a Witch I'm like do I want to read another one of his books just yet lol.

*Whew* Not nearly as happy as I am -- I was waiting for someone to jump all over me for that opinion. :WINK: He's really not a particularly good writer (good storyteller, bad writer, is the way I always put it) -- I keep wishing someone really excellent had thought of the idea first. Oh, well... they did a great job taking his ideas and improving them immeasurably for the stage.
Back to top Go down
Emily
Munchkinlander
Munchkinlander
Emily

PostSubject: Re: - Wicked - The Book   - Wicked - The Book - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 16, 2007 2:10 pm

Gemtps wrote:

That's a fabulous way of looking at things. I like that.
I was very surprised at the ending of the show having read the book but now I like to think that that is actually the real ending and the book just failed to mention that part !!! :Love:

Thanks! :Love: I think that, too -- really, she was still alive, but... maybe it just didn't need to be said. Or that's what he thought. Because everyone would just know...?

The first time I saw the show, last spring, I'd listened to the soundtrack and knew that she was somehow singing at the very end, but hadn't read a summary of the plot, so I was SO happy when that trap door opened... I'd been on the verge of crying since she closed the curtain, and when she appeared, that was it, I was gone, tears everywhere. And I never cry. It was just such immeasurable relief... (Yeah, I think this has crossed the line to 'scary obsession', eh? :Pt: )
Back to top Go down
Stacie
Wicked Admin
Wicked Admin
Stacie

Female Number of posts : 7185
Job : Student
Registration date : 2006-10-28

PostSubject: Re: - Wicked - The Book   - Wicked - The Book - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 16, 2007 5:18 pm

Ah i always blub during 'For Good' lol

But going back on topic i looked for 'Son of a witch' today and couldn't find it :(
But think im going to re-read Wicked.
Back to top Go down
Stacie
Wicked Admin
Wicked Admin
Stacie

PostSubject: Re: - Wicked - The Book   - Wicked - The Book - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2007 7:55 am

Did anyone notice that Avaric is in the musical?

Well the name not the character. Its the person who pulls Fiyero on stage in that cart thing.
Back to top Go down
ElphieRocks
Shiz Student
Shiz Student

PostSubject: Re: - Wicked - The Book   - Wicked - The Book - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2007 8:52 am

yeh i noticed that! Cos i was wondering whether he was in the musical....then when Fiyero said 'Avaric' i was like ooooooooohh!
Back to top Go down
Emily
Munchkinlander
Munchkinlander
Emily

PostSubject: Re: - Wicked - The Book   - Wicked - The Book - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2007 12:17 pm

Yep, I noticed, too. :biggrin: And laughed.
Back to top Go down
Bastila
Ozian
Ozian
Bastila

Female Number of posts : 232
Job : Student/DeathDealer/Power Ranger/X-men
Registration date : 2006-12-30

PostSubject: Re: - Wicked - The Book   - Wicked - The Book - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2007 1:58 pm

Emily wrote:

*Whew* Not nearly as happy as I am -- I was waiting for someone to jump all over me for that opinion. :WINK: He's really not a particularly good writer (good storyteller, bad writer, is the way I always put it) -- I keep wishing someone really excellent had thought of the idea first. Oh, well... they did a great job taking his ideas and improving them immeasurably for the stage.

lol, I was glad to see you share the same opinion as well.
But I agree the people who re-wrote the stroy for the stage show all I can say is well done them lol, they should re-write the book like that.
I have to say that was the one thing i was worried about that the whole show would be like the book, but it wasn't.
Back to top Go down
ElphieRocks
Shiz Student
Shiz Student

PostSubject: Re: - Wicked - The Book   - Wicked - The Book - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 19, 2007 3:39 am

I forgot how many funny bits there were in this bed!! I love these bits:

"She boasted buying secondhand from a local undertaker..cheap for having been used in funeral services"

"She is my world" he answered. "Your world is too small if she is it"

lol! and of course theres like a billion others!
Back to top Go down
missnessa
Ozian
Ozian
missnessa

PostSubject: Re: - Wicked - The Book   - Wicked - The Book - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 19, 2007 2:31 pm

Hehe :P

I noticed that Avaric was in the show too! Even though he wasn't really a part.

For Good always gets me going as well :(
Back to top Go down
popster_rox
Ozian
Ozian
popster_rox

Female Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2007-01-14

PostSubject: Re: - Wicked - The Book   - Wicked - The Book - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 19, 2007 3:17 pm

I love the book of Wicked!! It is really different to the musical but I thought it was captivating and couldn't put it down. The story is so imaginative and I love how it ties in with The Wizard of Oz yet gives the story a new twist. I got 'Son of Witch' for Christmas and cannot wait to read it and see what new surprises I have in store! :spw:
Back to top Go down
missnessa
Ozian
Ozian
missnessa

PostSubject: Re: - Wicked - The Book   - Wicked - The Book - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 19, 2007 3:20 pm

I'm sure that you'll enjoy :P I really want to get Son of a Witch :)
Back to top Go down
Emma Jane
Emerald City Citizen
Emerald City Citizen
Emma Jane

Female Number of posts : 6641
Job : BAPA STUDENT
Registration date : 2006-11-09

PostSubject: Re: - Wicked - The Book   - Wicked - The Book - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2007 4:48 pm

well i would love to have time to read it... i bought it straight after i read Wicked and that was like June maybe i should spend less time on here mmmmmmmmm
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/ej_yay
missnessa
Ozian
Ozian
missnessa

PostSubject: Re: - Wicked - The Book   - Wicked - The Book - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 23, 2007 2:32 pm

Lol :P

These boards are pretty addictive!
Back to top Go down
Stacie
Wicked Admin
Wicked Admin
Stacie

PostSubject: Re: - Wicked - The Book   - Wicked - The Book - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 23, 2007 3:19 pm

As a mod i can only encourage the addiction! hehe :)
Back to top Go down
*ElphabaEvenstar*
Ozmopolitan
Ozmopolitan
*ElphabaEvenstar*

Female Number of posts : 1268
Job : undergraduate and full time lunatic!
Registration date : 2007-01-21

PostSubject: Re: - Wicked - The Book   - Wicked - The Book - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 25, 2007 2:23 pm

I'm reading the book atm but i havent seen it on stage yet :( meep....i think the novel is fantastic though, well written and really quite humorous in parts! :P :good:
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/tortuga_evenstar
Michelle
Ozian
Ozian
Michelle

Female Number of posts : 119
Job : Professional day-dreamer
Registration date : 2006-11-27

PostSubject: Re: - Wicked - The Book   - Wicked - The Book - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 26, 2007 8:39 am

It's hard to compare book and the muscial for me. It's just two different stories of one life. It's like...I don't know...like comparing 'The sleeping beauty' and 'The Snowhite'. In both there is the Princess and The Witch who's trying to kill the Princess and in the end the Prince Charming kisses the Princess and they live happily ever after.

But the two stories aren't the same. That's how I feel about Wicked.

In the book my favorite character (besides Elphaba) was Nessa while in the musical I loved Glinda.

I wanted Fyiero to die in the book, but I didn't want him to die in the musical.

I hate Dorothy (musical) but I like Dorothy (book).

I didn't want Elphaba to die in both but i didn't like that she came back to life.

After all, I think both - the book and the musical - are unique and really, really good. Each in its own very special way. :heatb:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: - Wicked - The Book   - Wicked - The Book - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

- Wicked - The Book
Page 3 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next