Wicked UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wicked UK

Wicked Uk

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

- Wicked - The Book

Go down 
+28
ElphabaForLife
Elphie Lives
//Sally
Shelinda
Emmy
Hannahbelle
Michelle
*ElphabaEvenstar*
popster_rox
ElphieRocks
Emily
missnessa
stephy..
Andrewy89
Gemtps
funkydoriee
wicked_mad
Star2bno1
GlindaInTheMaking
Lucy
Bastila
Bekhee
kelly
Stacie
Indy
jo132000
Emma Jane
Debbie123
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Bastila
Ozian
Ozian
Bastila

Female Number of posts : 232
Job : Student/DeathDealer/Power Ranger/X-men
Registration date : 2006-12-30

- Wicked - The Book - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: - Wicked - The Book   - Wicked - The Book - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 05, 2007 3:48 pm

Lucy wrote:
GlindaInTheMaking wrote:
I would like to buy the book! Wheres a cheap place to get it from?!

xxx Glinda In The Making xxx

Dress Circle is a nice place to buy Wicked stuff, too.

Oh i think thats a great shop, there all friendly in there lol, they got a website as well.

Lucy - about the way she dies there is only one way shes dies and well all know what that is lol.
But still it's sad, thats why I think about the show, so when you get to that part just think she lives! she lives! lol.
Back to top Go down
Star2bno1
Ozian
Ozian
Star2bno1

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2006-11-18

PostSubject: Re: - Wicked - The Book   - Wicked - The Book - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 05, 2007 4:10 pm

Why don't you want her to die?

Both times in Wicked and the Wizard of Oz the Witch dying has been a tie in, a political tie in, but between the lines both novels had to have her die. Its a parallel with what has been happening in the news right upto a few days ago, and will continue for as long as power hungery people are around.

I quite like the Wicked novel as in certain ways it represents real life, it questions peoples social background their political background, colour, creed and even disability.

Personally after I had read it I started to see what the world around me really was like, I'm glad it did. Part of me would love the rainbow ending ( fiyero and elhie in the show) but lifes not like that.
Back to top Go down
funkydoriee
Ozian
Ozian
funkydoriee

Female Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2006-12-16

PostSubject: Re: - Wicked - The Book   - Wicked - The Book - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 05, 2007 4:57 pm

Oooh poo maybe I shouldn't have come into this thread lol. I have just read the book, haven't seen the musical yet! Not long though!!! I'm slightly confused about the ending now, so Elphie's not dead? lol.
I love the book with a passion and knew the songs so when I was reading I was trying to match the songs to where I was up to and sometimes they didnt quite fit, so figured the musical is very different! I do know about Glinda and Flyero and the difference there but not much else.
I found the book soo easy to read and could not put it down, I've ordered Son of a Witch cos I want to see what happens with Liir and whether Flyero turns up!
I was compleley wrapped up in it while reading and two of my mates got it for xmas so I keep asking where they are up to! lol. I also can't stand Dorothy!! lol. Will not be able to watch Wizard of Oz again in the same way haha.

Ams xxxxx
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/funkydoriee
funkydoriee
Ozian
Ozian
funkydoriee

PostSubject: Re: - Wicked - The Book   - Wicked - The Book - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 05, 2007 5:03 pm

Star2bno1 wrote:

Both times in Wicked and the Wizard of Oz the Witch dying has been a tie in, a political tie in, but between the lines both novels had to have her die. Its a parallel with what has been happening in the news right upto a few days ago, and will continue for as long as power hungery people are around.

I quite like the Wicked novel as in certain ways it represents real life, it questions peoples social background their political background, colour, creed and even disability.

Personally after I had read it I started to see what the world around me really was like, I'm glad it did. Part of me would love the rainbow ending ( fiyero and elhie in the show) but lifes not like that.

Thats what I loved about it too! So many political and cultural parrallels.
Having just read this I now have the answer to my previous question.
I like that there is two endings for the romantic at heart and the realist (For which I am both on different days lol) in the show and the book. I think the show needs and ending like that because it's that kind of show. I like that there are two alternatives for your mood lol.

Ams xxxxx
Back to top Go down
kelly
'The Dallimore's' number 1 fan
'The Dallimore's' number 1 fan
kelly

Female Number of posts : 2866
Registration date : 2006-12-15

PostSubject: Re: - Wicked - The Book   - Wicked - The Book - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 05, 2007 5:24 pm

After all the discusion i feel complelled to finish the book.

Infact instead of watching celebrity big brother lol i will read the book some more :)

XXX
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/starbuck85
Emma Jane
Emerald City Citizen
Emerald City Citizen
Emma Jane

Female Number of posts : 6641
Job : BAPA STUDENT
Registration date : 2006-11-09

PostSubject: Re: - Wicked - The Book   - Wicked - The Book - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 05, 2007 6:20 pm

funkydoriee wrote:
Oooh poo maybe I shouldn't have come into this thread lol. I have just read the book, haven't seen the musical yet! Not long though!!! I'm slightly confused about the ending now, so Elphie's not dead? lol.

Don't think about it it ruins the first time effect lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/ej_yay
Star2bno1
Ozian
Ozian
Star2bno1

PostSubject: Re: - Wicked - The Book   - Wicked - The Book - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 06, 2007 4:09 am

funkydoriee wrote:
Star2bno1 wrote:

Personally after I had read it I started to see what the world around me really was like, I'm glad it did. Part of me would love the rainbow ending ( fiyero and elphie in the show) but lifes not like that.

I like that there is two endings for the romantic at heart and the realist (For which I am both on different days lol) in the show and the book. I think the show needs and ending like that because it's that kind of show. I like that there are two alternatives for your mood lol.

Ams xxxxx

I agree about the two endings, trust me, Liir won't disappoint, there are a few twists in it, so enjoy it!
Back to top Go down
Lucy
Galindafied Elphie Wicked Mod
Galindafied Elphie  Wicked Mod
Lucy

Female Number of posts : 2647
Job : pro nappy changer
Registration date : 2006-10-30

PostSubject: Re: - Wicked - The Book   - Wicked - The Book - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 06, 2007 4:23 am

Star2bno1 wrote:

Well, I wish she lived, I wish Gregory Maguire didn't kill her although I think she had to die but... It's just not fair. So if I don't finish the book, she won't die.

Anyway, after reading all these comments I want to finish it! And I must get The Son of the Witch but I won't be able to get it until June because they don't sell it here.

Ooooh I forgot to say that I'm trying to translate the book into Czech. Nobody knows it here and I think it's a shame so I'm giving it a try, I want it to be published. (Um, wait, that means I have to finish the book...). OK, I'm gonna finish it today. Wish me luck :)
Back to top Go down
http://www.dianne-pilkington.net/
funkydoriee
Ozian
Ozian
funkydoriee

PostSubject: Re: - Wicked - The Book   - Wicked - The Book - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 06, 2007 1:09 pm

Star2bno1 wrote:
funkydoriee wrote:
Star2bno1 wrote:

Personally after I had read it I started to see what the world around me really was like, I'm glad it did. Part of me would love the rainbow ending ( fiyero and elphie in the show) but lifes not like that.

Ams xxxxx

I agree about the two endings, trust me, Liir won't disappoint, there are a few twists in it, so enjoy it!

Oooh must get reading it!!
And I wont think about the ending of the Musical, I shall just watch lol

Ams xxxx
Back to top Go down
Gemtps
Winkie
Winkie
Gemtps

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2007-01-07

PostSubject: Re: - Wicked - The Book   - Wicked - The Book - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 07, 2007 8:43 am

I read the book about 3 days before I saw the show although I have had the soundtrack for ages so I could kind of guess whilst reading the book that it was a bit different from the show.

By the way - has anybody seen 'confessions of an ugly stepsister' ? which is also based on a book by Gregory Maguire (sorry if this has already been mentioned).

I am just starting on 'Son of a Witch' now.
Back to top Go down
Emma Jane
Emerald City Citizen
Emerald City Citizen
Emma Jane

Female Number of posts : 6641
Job : BAPA STUDENT
Registration date : 2006-11-09

PostSubject: Re: - Wicked - The Book   - Wicked - The Book - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 07, 2007 9:57 am

Oh yes I love confessions of an ugle stepsister. I saw it on sky movies last x-mas for the first time then when i found out WICKED was done by Gregory i was like OMG I HAVE TO SEE THIS (wicked that it)! :biggrin: he is an amzing riter!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/ej_yay
funkydoriee
Ozian
Ozian
funkydoriee

PostSubject: Re: - Wicked - The Book   - Wicked - The Book - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 08, 2007 12:04 pm

Ive seen it on sky a bit but never properly sat down and watch it, my mate has the book.
Back to top Go down
Bastila
Ozian
Ozian
Bastila

PostSubject: Re: - Wicked - The Book   - Wicked - The Book - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 08, 2007 2:17 pm

Oh I re-read like the ending, well I saw (found ) in my room, and it said something like ''or did she disapear' talking about Elphie something like that so I was thinking maybe in Son of A Witch might have her in it, but I am yet to read it..
Back to top Go down
funkydoriee
Ozian
Ozian
funkydoriee

PostSubject: Re: - Wicked - The Book   - Wicked - The Book - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 08, 2007 2:57 pm

No I'm not sure about that theory because 'Wicked' ending parrallels what happens in the Wizard Of Oz and she died in that. I'd love to be proved wrong though!!

Ams xxxx
Back to top Go down
Star2bno1
Ozian
Ozian
Star2bno1

PostSubject: Re: - Wicked - The Book   - Wicked - The Book - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 09, 2007 1:17 pm

There is a twist in Son of Witch that will get you thinking. Also "Confessions" is a great read, better in my opinion than the film
Back to top Go down
Andrewy89
Winkie
Winkie
Andrewy89

Male Number of posts : 9
Job : Student/Cleaner (Fancy I know)
Registration date : 2006-12-19

PostSubject: Re: - Wicked - The Book   - Wicked - The Book - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 09, 2007 1:21 pm

I loved the book even though some points annoyed me.

1. She died (I like a happy ending).
2. There isnt enough character development with Elphaba.
3. It seems like interesting parts of her life are missing from the book.

Its still a good book although I expected the same ending as the musical and didnt get it.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/nonjeneregretterien
Star2bno1
Ozian
Ozian
Star2bno1

PostSubject: Re: - Wicked - The Book   - Wicked - The Book - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 09, 2007 2:00 pm

did you read it after the musical? The development i though was ok, yes there where times when i thought, how did that happen where did she change, in a way the development comes in the second book, in my opinion
Back to top Go down
Gemtps
Winkie
Winkie
Gemtps

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2007-01-07

PostSubject: Re: - Wicked - The Book   - Wicked - The Book - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 10, 2007 6:01 am

I read the book before seeing the show and was very confused to start with as the character of Fiyero is much more cocky in the show than in the book. In fact it seems like they have merged the characters of Fiyero and Avirac (sp?).
Also Elphaba's relationship with Boq is played down quite a bit in the show.
But I was so happy with the show's ending. I had resigned myself to the same ending as the book so was chuffed when they came back on.
Back to top Go down
stephy..
Ozian
Ozian
stephy..

Female Number of posts : 132
Job : Student
Registration date : 2006-11-03

PostSubject: Re: - Wicked - The Book   - Wicked - The Book - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 10, 2007 12:37 pm

I know it's a strange bit to like, but I just love the parts that involve Madame Morrible and Elphie. I think the link between the giant carp and Morrible is brilliant, it's so obvious, yet you don't realise it until the very last minute.
I bought all my friends the book for christmas, they all think I'm completely insane.
Although one friend now reallyyy wants to see it, just because she doesn't believe how a musical like Wicked can come from such a dark political book...
I s'pose it's a way of converting people to the Wicked way of life...

haha I like that!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/stepht89
funkydoriee
Ozian
Ozian
funkydoriee

PostSubject: Re: - Wicked - The Book   - Wicked - The Book - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 11, 2007 3:22 pm

Fabala Thropp wrote:
I know it's a strange bit to like, but I just love the parts that involve Madame Morrible and Elphie. I think the link between the giant carp and Morrible is brilliant, it's so obvious, yet you don't realise it until the very last minute.
I bought all my friends the book for christmas, they all think I'm completely insane.
Although one friend now reallyyy wants to see it, just because she doesn't believe how a musical like Wicked can come from such a dark political book...
I s'pose it's a way of converting people to the Wicked way of life...

haha I like that!!

Two of my mates have now read the book, one is coming with me to see it in Feb and absoloutly loooves the book and the other is coming if I go in the summer. They've been converted!! Its ace lol
Back to top Go down
missnessa
Ozian
Ozian
missnessa

Female Number of posts : 188
Job : Assistant
Registration date : 2007-01-10

PostSubject: Re: - Wicked - The Book   - Wicked - The Book - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 14, 2007 6:47 am

I hate the fact that she dies in the book :(

But does she actually die? Because he ends it with the whole 'And did she ever come out? ... Not yet?' thing.. which I never really understood lol
Back to top Go down
Emily
Munchkinlander
Munchkinlander
Emily

Female Number of posts : 258
Job : Ask me again sometime... I'm unsure.
Registration date : 2007-01-09

PostSubject: Re: - Wicked - The Book   - Wicked - The Book - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 14, 2007 7:33 am

I always thought he was saying she did die, but, in fairy tales, characters never really die -- they're always back the next time someone tells the story, the next time children sit with their mouths hanging open waiting to hear if the witch will be bested, and the next time someone waits breathlessly for the ending to come. Storybook characters live forever, so long as someone remembers their stories. So, of course, she lives on -- so long as people remember her.

That's how I interpreted it, anyway. (After I finished moping around depressed for half the night when I completed the book, despite knowing how it was going to end...)
Back to top Go down
http://mediaevalstudy.livejournal.com
missnessa
Ozian
Ozian
missnessa

Female Number of posts : 188
Job : Assistant
Registration date : 2007-01-10

PostSubject: Re: - Wicked - The Book   - Wicked - The Book - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 14, 2007 11:14 am

Me as well :)

You know from the start that Elphaba is going to die and before you read the book, you don't really care that she gets killed by Dorothy. Well that's how I felt anyway. But by the time I got to the end of the book, I had grown to love the character of Elphaba so much that I just cried and cried!
Back to top Go down
Bastila
Ozian
Ozian
Bastila

PostSubject: Re: - Wicked - The Book   - Wicked - The Book - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 14, 2007 2:08 pm

missnessa wrote:
I hate the fact that she dies in the book :(

But does she actually die? Because he ends it with the whole 'And did she ever come out? ... Not yet?' thing.. which I never really understood lol

See thats why I think she might come back in the next book, I brought it but I am reading other books first.
Back to top Go down
Emily
Munchkinlander
Munchkinlander
Emily

Female Number of posts : 258
Job : Ask me again sometime... I'm unsure.
Registration date : 2007-01-09

PostSubject: Re: - Wicked - The Book   - Wicked - The Book - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 14, 2007 2:31 pm

I'm not going to give anything away, but I've read most of Son of a Witch, and, well... if that's why you're reading it, don't expect too much. But watch for twists and turns!
Back to top Go down
http://mediaevalstudy.livejournal.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: - Wicked - The Book   - Wicked - The Book - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

- Wicked - The Book
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next