Wicked UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wicked UK

Wicked Uk

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Brand New Gelphie Story following the book

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Elphie Lives
Munchkinlander
Munchkinlander
Elphie Lives

Female Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2007-09-16

Brand New Gelphie Story following the book Empty
PostSubject: Brand New Gelphie Story following the book   Brand New Gelphie Story following the book Icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2007 9:06 am

Hey Everyone.
This is my first attempt at Wicked fan fiction and would love to know what you think as it really helps me to write better in the future.
Enjoy!!!
Back to top Go down
Elphie Lives
Munchkinlander
Munchkinlander
Elphie Lives

PostSubject: Re: Brand New Gelphie Story following the book   Brand New Gelphie Story following the book Icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2007 9:09 am

I have had to split chapter 1 into different parts as it was too big to post as one. So here goes:

Chapter 1 / Part 1

Embarrassing Introductions.

Elphaba stood looking down at her own feet. She wriggled her toes in her boots in a vague attempt to distract her mind from the present moment. Elphaba had always known it was going to be difficult, complicated even, but this was a whole new level, more than she felt she could possible stand. Despite what everyone thought, she did have feelings though she kept them well hidden. Her first day at Shiz, her first meeting with the students who no doubt would make her life hell for the next three years. Elphaba supposed she should consider herself lucky to get such an opportunity, after all she wasn’t going to university on her own merit, she was there to walk in her sisters shadow. She had been told to remain innocuous and simply complete her duties to Nessa; anything else she considered would be a bonus.

She took a deep breath that she intended to be silent but it had obviously drawn the attention of her sister who was waiting nervously for something bad to happen.

Nessa spoke for the first time since their father had left them at the station, “Elphaba do you really have to stand there looking so awkward?”

Elphaba looked down at her feet again, she had been trying to dissolve into the background, not realise how ridiculous she looked.

“Remember what father said, don’t deliberately attract attention to yourself.”

Elphaba laughed weakly, “Have you ever tried being green for the day?”

“Elphaba.” Nessa’s tone held a warning.

“Well have you?” Elphaba retorted, regretting her sharp tone.

“Oh Elphaba, we’ve been through this a hundred times. This is a new start for both of us and I don’t want you ruining it for me.”

Elphaba turned away, if her own sister couldn’t even understand how she felt at moments like this how was anyone else going to? Yet Nessa was right, this opportunity was about her and Elphaba had to try and fit in for her sake. Nessa wasn’t even old enough to be going to university yet, but she had been given a chance under the strict understanding Elphaba came as her guide. Nessa hadn’t exactly had it easy herself, being confined to that wretched chair. Still it was difficult when she knew she would soon be the talk of the campus, once again a laughing stock. Nessa was disabled, they would understand and accept that. She was green, nothing could explain that. She would be the freak, they would laugh behind her back, and they would laugh to her face and then who knew what would happen next? Elphaba had promised to keep her temper in control because when she lost it outrageous things seemed to happen. This was not acceptable at Shiz she had been told numerous times and felt her promises wearing her down already.

She sighed again, this time to herself. What she would give for just one friend in this place. One person who wouldn’t be blinded by her greenness, who could see past her appearance to the person inside. Still she couldn’t afford to think like that, that was a dream that would never come true and well she knew it. Elphaba had never had a real friend and that was the way it was going to stay. She was quirky, even a little weird and people didn’t like those qualities here; that she was sure of.

Elphaba heard voices in the distance and knew the time was finally here, the judgement was about to happen; her fellow students were approaching.

Nessa gave her once last pleading look, “Remember Elphaba, this isn’t just about you. This is my moment and if you go stealing it I will never speak to you again. Worse still, I will write to father and ask him to take you back home. Just try to blend in.”

Easier said than done Elphaba thought to herself and quickly she turned her back away from the approaching students in the courtyard. They were laughing and chatting enthusiastically about what rumours they had heard about life at Shiz. Elphaba listened carefully and knew that would never be her. They stopped as they came upon Nessa Rose and one small Munchkin boy spoke kindly.

“Are you alright there? Do you need any help?”

Nessa smiled somewhat awkwardly and spoke, “No, I’m fine. Are you first years?”

“Why yes, this is Miss Milla and Miss Shen Shen and I’m Boq.”

“Pleased to meet you.” Nessa pushed herself forward in her wheelchair and shook hands with Boq while the two girls waved politely from a distance.

Suddenly a taller boy came rushing into the courtyard almost tripping over his own feet in his excitement. “She’s here, everyone she’s here and she’s even more beautiful in real life, if that’s possible,” he added.

Boq raised an eyebrow at his new friend Crope, showing a general lack of understanding. Boq was never the first to understand being somewhat dim witted but kind.

“Miss Galinda Upland of course. Wait until you see her. She’s to die for. That dress and her hair, it’s perfect, just perfect. She’s a marvel.”

The girls let out a few excited shrieks and Boq allowed himself to grin widely.

All the while Elphaba had been facing away from the excited group listening to their conversation nonetheless. They all sounded friendly enough yet for some reason they hadn’t noticed her. This was the first time she could ever remember not standing out in the crowd. She knew it was all down to the intense anticipation of Galinda’s arrival but she allowed herself to enjoy the feeling of being totally unnoticed.

“I’m definitely going to be friends with Miss Galinda,” Shen Shen spoke proudly, adding, “Our mother’s have already been in touch.”

Nessa couldn’t help but find herself fascinated in the anticipation of the imminent arrival but she remembered she hadn’t introduced herself properly. She sat up in her chair and spoke loudly, over all the animated voices, “I’m Miss Nessa Rose. The Governor’s daughter.”

“The Governor’s daughter?” Milla said, walking towards Nessa and embracing her quickly. “I’m very pleased to meet you.”

“Look! It’s Miss Galinda!” Boq cried as an air of anticipation crept through the air. Elphaba fought the urge to turn and stare with the rest of the group and apparently the whole university.

Galinda entered looking the picture of beauty. She had deftly draped herself over her luggage, carefully revealing a little of her toned leg for the boys to stare at, without showing too much. She was being pushed along on her luggage trolley by two of her servants. Galinda smiled sweetly at her adoring fans and gave the occasional wave. She winked at one of the boys who had pushed his way to the front and she took great delight in seeing him blush a good shade darker than he had been before.

Even Elphaba couldn’t miss the expectancy that Galinda had filled the air with. She had the boys swooning and the girls all wanting to be her. She forced herself to stay where she was though she desperately wanted to see what all the fuss was. She didn’t intend to steal Galinda’s moment of glory by showing her repulsive face. Especially when a sheer vision of pure beauty had just arrived.

Galinda allowed herself to be pushed into the centre of the crowd and then she quickly dismissed her servants with one effective sweep of her hand. She smiled her radiant smile at those gathered around her. As she looked, she happily realised it wasn’t just first years that had come to watch her arrival, it seemed the whole of Shiz was assembled around her. Yes, she was ready to impress. She gracefully sat up, making a show of covering the leg so many of the boys had been ogling at. Next she made a swift movement with her hair, tossing it back over her shoulders and when she finally felt she had everyone’s attention, she cleared her throat and spoke in the most seductive tone Elphaba had ever heard.

“Welcome friends. I am Miss Galinda Upland of the Upper Uplands, but I guess you all knew that.” She let out an excited giggle and shook her legs up and down. “I am delighted to meet you all and know we shall all be very best friends.”

Boq found his jaw opening and shutting without any sound coming out. His friend Crope stood next to him and clapped him on the back. Boq came alive and Crope pushed him towards Galinda. He looked back and his friend gave him an encouraging look.

“Er…Miss Galinda. I’m Boq. Allow me to help you down.”

Boq held out his hand and Galinda giggled, gracefully accepting his hand. “How delightful.” She stepped down into the middle of the crowd, holding her posture perfectly. This was all going very well she had to admit. She allowed herself to take a quick look around and was charmed with what she saw. She had captivated all eyes; this was now her adoring public. This had gone better than even she could have hoped for in that idealistic head of hers. She took a swift glance at the other girls. Nobody there was as pretty as her. Nobody had such a dress as hers. Yet there were some relatively attractive girls out there that she instantly knew she would be best friends with. She felt elated inside as the time came for her to make her welcome speech. She brushed down her dress and fluttered her eyelids before addressing her adoring public.

“Good friends we have only been here in Shiz a few minutes together and yet I already feel like I have known you all of my life. I know we shall all be very good friends. I hope you are all as excitified as I am to be sharing our first moments here together. We have such a lot to look forward to. So many parties, balls, shopping trips, my head is spinning with the possibilities. Perhaps even a small amount of studying.” Galinda rolled her eyes and showed the group that she was joking by allowing herself a quick giggle. They all giggled with her and Boq felt himself swoon. “Well my father has made a lovely choice of room for, I have my own private quarters but I don’t want you to feel they are private. I hope you shall come round whenever you feel like it and come join me for cup of afternoon tea or something more thrillifying.” Again the crowd laughed on cue. “I hope to begin by inviting you all to a party tonight in my private quarters. Lots of dancing and naturally shall we say formal dress.”

This wasn’t a question and nobody answered, they were all too mesmerised by Galinda’s loveliness. She smiled once more at the crowd and then waved a hand to dismiss them. They faithfully obeyed.

Galinda sent a kind smile in Nessa’s direction, who had been gazing in wonderment with the rest of Shiz. “What about you dearie? I hope you will be able to make it up the stairs. Sweet Oz, how will you get around here on your own?”

Galinda was deeply concerned that at least one member of their year might not be able to attend her wonderful party and experience the Galinda way of celebrating. She didn’t like to see people in difficulty and would always try to help, if possible, if it didn’t involve anything too strenuous.

Nessa felt herself blush, as all eyes fell on her. Galinda had that effect on people, they couldn’t help but stare, even when they were asked not to. So far things had gone well for Nessa, people had spoken to her and she had been invited to the party but there was something she had not yet done. Someone the crowd had not yet seen. She drew a deep breath and spoke quietly so that Galinda had to draw herself in to hear.

“I’m not here on my own.”
Back to top Go down
Elphie Lives
Munchkinlander
Munchkinlander
Elphie Lives

PostSubject: Re: Brand New Gelphie Story following the book   Brand New Gelphie Story following the book Icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2007 9:10 am

Chapter 1 / Part 2

Elphaba froze, she knew her invisibility was about to vanish and she was about to be revealed to the whole of Shiz at once. Still better it was just once, rather than a stream of embarrassing experiences. She felt her stomach lurch. How could she have Galinda’s eyes on her. The most beautiful girl in Oz, according to popular belief, looking on her own sickly green face. She wished she knew a spell that would allow the ground to open up and swallow her but she still hadn’t learnt very much magic and that she could manage was very much out of her control.

She closed her eyes as Nessa continued, “I’m here with my sister. She’s here to look after me. Our father sent us together.”
“Forgive me Miss Nessa but I didn’t know you had sister here. I didn’t meet her.” Boq spoke.

“She’s over there.” Nessa directed her eyes towards the spot where Elphaba was stood, shifting uncomfortably from one foot to the other. She suddenly felt the attention shift to her sister. She knew things would never be the same again after this moment. From then on she would always be the sister of the green girl. Bitterly she added, resenting Elphaba with every bone in her body, “She’s hiding.”

“Hiding?” Galinda looked horrified. How could someone want to hide away from her and her more than perfect entrance into Shiz. “You mean she missed all that?” Galinda looked like to Nessa for confirmation.

“What on earth could the Governor of Munchkinland’s daughter be hiding from?” Boq enquired.

“Exactly,” Galinda looked as if she could bear the thought no longer.

Elphaba felt the colour drain from her cheeks, she knew it was time to make her entrance into Shiz life she only wished it could be as well accepted as Galinda’s.

Nessa spoke slowly before Galinda could exclaim her horror at Elphaba hiding away any more. “Well…she’s…she’s…” Nessa struggled to find the words.

Elphaba decided it was time to take things into her own hands, she took a deep breath, spun around and looked into the gawping crowd. The expressions on the faces of those around her distorted from sheer delight at the sight of Galinda to obvious repulsion at her deformity, her ugliness, her green skin.

“Green,” Elphaba finished as she looked away from the eyes burning into her. The first face she dared to look at was that of the girl who stood closest to her, it was that of Galinda.

Elphaba screwed up her face as she took in the other girl. She frowned deeply, hating the fact that everyone apparently in the whole of Shiz was staring at her in disgust. Galinda was beautiful, that was the first thing Elphaba noticed, they were right about that. She was more beautiful than Elphaba believed possible, no wonder she thrived off people looking at her Elphaba thought. Elphaba scowled as she took Galinda in. Her face was an image of sheer perfection, she had the most piercing blue eyes which were brought out by her stunning long eyelashes. Her hair fell in fine looking curls which looked perfectly natural, with not one out of place. Her cheeks held a rosy complexion which only added to her striking beauty, yet Elphaba looked at all this and felt one feeling only, disgust. She studied her dress closely, it was a hideous shade of blue with far too many frills and fancy bits for Elphaba’s liking. As she was taking in the other girl, Elphaba noticed Galinda’s appearance changing.

The colour abruptly drained from Galinda’s cheeks and her eyes began to flutter, clearly out of her control. She opened her mouth and closed it again, she repeated this motion twice more and then left it open. No words came out. By this point the other students had allowed their gaze to drift from Elphaba to Galinda, concerned by the change that had come over Galinda.

Finally Galinda managed to form words as she reached out a hand for the nearest person to lean on. Boq jumped into place as she struggled to find her breath and gasped, “What…what is that?”

Elphaba felt the colour rising in her own cheeks and wondered if it hadn’t somehow been transferred from Galinda’s cheeks to her own. The hateful looks came from all angles due to the effect she had inflicted on Galinda. She felt a rush of temper build up inside but she quickly swallowed it down, after all she hadn’t meant to send Galinda silly. She was about to speak when someone else did it for her.

“That, Miss Galinda, is your new roommate.”

A rather large and imposing woman had unexpectedly appeared behind Elphaba, capturing all the students with her sharp gaze. Elphaba knew who this was at once, this was their head teacher, Madame Morrible.

Galinda let out a huge gasp and spoke in a faint whisper, “I think, I think I’m going to…” She swooned and fell back, many of the students rushed to her side but Boq quickly manoeuvred himself to a position where he could catch her.

“Allow me,” he said as he caught her.

Crope and Milla hurriedly made a space on the luggage trolley for her and Boq laid her gently down next to her many suitcases. People fell to fanning Galinda and Madame Morrible ordered another first year student to go and fetch a large glass of water.

Elphaba stepped closer to where Galinda lay, hardly believing the response she had created. The other students protectively clustered around Galinda, preventing the green girl from frightening her again, if she woke.

“I…I only wanted to help,” Elphaba stuttered as Crope shooed her away with his hand, apparently afraid to touch her green skin.

“Leave her alone. Can’t you see what you’ve done. People like her aren’t supposed to be exposed to such wickedness,” Boq was fierce in his protection of his new found love.

“Elphaba, come away, Elphaba,” Nessa practically demanded her sister.

Elphaba took a step back, she looked embarrassed as her sister glowered at her. “See what you’ve done already and we haven’t even been here a day. Why couldn’t you have just tried. Couldn’t you have done that for me?”

“Nessa, you can’t think…you know I didn’t mean for this to happen.”

“And to Galinda Upland of all people Elphaba?” She crossly raised an eyebrow and Elphaba had to turn away. She looked back towards the commotion she had created.

Someone had returned with the water and handed it to Madame Morrible.

“Out of the way Miss Elphaba, we don’t want this going anywhere near you.”

Without any concern for Galinda’s dress or make-up she threw the water over the girl, almost looking as if she were enjoying herself.

Galinda spluttered as the water hit her, she found herself coming round at once due to the cold shock of the water on her face.

“Miss Galinda we are glad to have you back with us. In future do you think you could try and keep these fainting fits you are obviously so prone to, to a minimum.” There was a hint of malice in her voice and she turned away to study the crowd.

Galinda looked startled for a moment and then she struggled with her embarrassment. Her eyes found the hideous sight that had started all this in the first place and she gulped, trying to control her fear. In a mild stroke of panic, she remembered her audience and looked down at her dress. She spoke, trying to control the tears that were threatening to pour at any time. “My dress, it’s simply ruined and my hair isn’t even curly anymore.”

She felt the tears begin to rush down her face, she realised it couldn’t make her make-up much worse and allowed them to come freely.

The other students looked from one to another, in silence, each trying to find something to say to console Galinda at this distressing time.

All of a sudden a voice broke through the silence, louder than even Elphaba had intended. “For Oz sakes, get a grip. It’s only a dress and an awful one at that. It’s not like someone’s died.” She simply had not been able to keep her feelings to herself for a minute longer, finding it hard to believe the ridiculousness of the situation and the pathetic cry of Miss Galinda Upland. Elphaba had soon seen through her attention seeking façade and couldn’t quite believe nobody else felt the same. Elphaba felt that surge of energy again, the build up of tension inside her, her fingers began to tingle when Madame Morrible stepped in.

“Now Miss Elphaba, I’m quite sure you don’t want to create a scene on your first day in Shiz. I am also convinced Miss Galinda, with all her skills, will be able to apply a few finishing touches to her rather extravagant attire later.” Elphaba noticed the way Madame Morrible glared at Galinda and couldn’t help but feel the head teacher had taken an instant dislike to the foolish girl. Madame Morrible continued, “We have more important things to focus on when it is out first day at Shiz university, I am sure you will all agree?” She raised an eyebrow challenging anyone to disagree with her.

“What could be more important than Miss Galinda’s present situation?” Boq whispered to Crope.

Madame Morrible gave him a harsh stare and he immediately sat down beside Galinda, opening up her fan once more and fanning her adoringly.

“Room allocation is very important to all of us. As I have already mentioned Miss Elphaba and Miss Galinda have been placed together and here I have a list of the other pairings.”

Galinda gave another small gasp and Boq fanned her with an increasing pace, afraid she would have a relapse. She shut her eyes, opened them again and spoke quietly.

“Excuse me Madame Morrible. I hate to think there has been a mistake but I am sure there has been. My father has already arranged that I have my own quarters, I’m not to share with anyone. I believe he discussed it with you in person when he visited some weeks ago.” She wiped her eyes in as graceful a manner as she could manage and attempted a polite smile which she hoped would win her head teacher over.

“While we’re at it,” Elphaba contributed, “I believe my father spoke to you about me sharing with Nessa. I mean I have always looked after her and that’s the way father wanted it here in Shiz. She needs help with everything.” Elphaba lowered her tone slightly, “That’s why I’m here, remember? To look after her.”

“Miss Elphaba your concern for your sister is most admirable and does you credit however your father and I have come to our own arrangement with regards to your sister. I am to share my own personal quarters with Miss Nessa Rose, so she will have the best help on offer. You can’t be expected to be there all the time, you will have your own lectures and essays to complete. You hardly need to be running around after an inv…” She stopped short and smiled at Elphaba in a very false way. “Miss Nessa Rose will be well cared for.”

Elphaba looked hard at Madame Morrible and then exchanged quick glances with Nessa, who simple shrugged her shoulders. Nessa, she considered, would be glad to have rid of her.

“You Miss Elphaba are to study your lessons. I have high hopes for you after what I discussed with your father but that is not your only task. You will learn to conform, to blend in. You will learn to stop being an embarrassment to your father and you will fit into society.”

A few of the students shared smug grins and made weak attempts to hide their laughter. Surprisingly Elphaba noticed Galinda was not among them. Her face was still pale and tear stained.

“That my dear is where you fit it.” She glanced over at Galinda and smiled falsely. “You are to rub off some of your silly ways onto Miss Elphaba and turn her into a respectable member of Ozian society, much like yourself.” Elphaba had to refrain from speaking out at this point but Galinda just looked weak and afraid. “Teach her how to behave in company, show her ways to make the most of her somewhat weakened appearance. That sort of thing.”

Galinda gasped, she was in a really bad state of shock and couldn’t decide who she felt angriest with, Elphaba for being green and ungainly or Madame Morrible for conjuring up such a preposterous idea. She bravely took a step forward, trembling as she spoke, “I think my father will have something to say about this. You can’t expect me to share a room with that…that…that green thing,” Elphaba felt sick to her stomach, “and he certainly won’t.”

Madame Morrible smiled a terrible smile as she moved closer to the girl. “Why Miss Galinda, if you want to stay at this university you will conform to standards and stop this silliness. What would your father say if you were sent home from Shiz within a week?”

Galinda gasped, clearly horrified at the prospect. Madame Morrible had her trapped and there was nothing she could do about it.

Their head teacher smiled at her audience, “Now I think many of you have had enough excitement for one day. I suggest you listen out for your names and pal up with your roommates. Without such a fuss,” she added as an afterthought. “Miss Elphaba and Miss Galinda seen as you are both aware of your situation you may leave now and go get to know each other.” The prospect frightened both girls. “Block C, room 14, over by the sorcery department.”

Elphaba picked up her trunk reluctantly, seeing no other choice than to obey for now. She would never get her own way if she chose Morrible as an enemy. She dragged it over to where Galinda was stood and Galinda edged back a little.

“Oh and Miss Elphaba, could you take Miss Galinda’s trolley of luggage over to your room. There’s a dear.”

Elphaba felt a burning rage inside her. It would have been so easy to erupt there and then but once again she stalled herself, wanting to appeal to Morrible at a later date. Still it was one thing running around after Nessa, her crippled sister who needed her help and attendance but this, this was just humiliating. Galinda was in more than perfect health and certainly capable of moving her own ridiculously over weight suitcases. Elphaba sighed, took one last look at Nessa, (who seemed to be relieved her sister was leaving) and headed over to the mountain of suitcases that Galinda seemed to have brought with her.

Galinda looked distastefully at her as she touched one of the cases, still it had to be better than doing it herself, though only marginally. Elphaba threw her own trunk onto the pile and began to push. She was raging!
Back to top Go down
Elphie Lives
Munchkinlander
Munchkinlander
Elphie Lives

PostSubject: Re: Brand New Gelphie Story following the book   Brand New Gelphie Story following the book Icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2007 9:11 am

Chapter 2 / Part 1

Laying It On The Line.

Elphaba heaved a deep sigh of relief as the reached the top of the stairs, not for the first time that afternoon. She looked below to where she had just come from and a felt a little dizzy. She had dragged every one of Galinda’s ridiculously heavy suitcases up along with her own. She felt a bead of sweat trickle down her back and a rage burn up inside her that was difficult to swallow. She didn’t know who to curse first, Galinda with her excessive amounts of stupid luggage or Madame Morrible, whom she had taken an instant disliking to, despite her obvious distaste for Galinda.

She studied the size of the cases now at her feet and the numbers on the doors. Typical. Her room was nowhere in sight, with a sign indicating room 4, down the other end of the corridor. Elphaba stamped her foot on the ground in frustration. She was being made to look a fool and didn’t like it one bit, and Galinda, Galinda whose cases she had dragged through half of Shiz, was nowhere to be seen. That was it, Elphaba made her mind up. It was time that good for nothing Miss Galinda whatever she was called; shifted her backside into gear. She wiped more sweat from her brow, considering the fact that Galinda had hardly coped with her usual shade of green, never mind the more shining green Elphaba was now glowing. She rolled her sleeves up, determined not to take no for an answer, after all she was not one of Galinda’s numerous servants.

Elphaba moved along the corridor being led by sheer frustration. This wasn’t exactly how she had envisaged her first day at university, working herself silly for someone she hardly knew and certainly didn’t like. Eventually she found herself standing outside what was to be room for the next three years of university unless she could formulate an escape plan. She considered knocking and then remembered this was her room too. She turned the handle, expecting to meet some kind of resistance but found the handle easy to turn.

The sight that met her eyes wasn’t exactly unexpected but it angered Elphaba all the same. Galinda was sat on her bed, knees drawn up under her chin, rocking slowly backwards and forwards somewhat pathetically, Elphaba noted. Galinda was allowing tears to fall freely down her face. She quickly looked up as Elphaba stood there, her intimidating form in the doorway and Galinda began to cry again.

Elphaba let out a snort of contempt that only served to startle Galinda more. She let out a rather loud gasp and found herself struggling to breathe.

Elphaba decided it was time to do something to stop this ridiculous show, she didn’t think she could cope with much more of the crying. She knew even Galinda couldn’t be this afraid of her and put two and two together, realising it was her public humiliation that bothered Galinda most of all. The thing that Elphaba found most amusing was the fact that Galinda was so concerned about her fall from grace yet despite all the tears and smudged make-up she was still the picture of absolute beauty. Elphaba had no doubt that if she went out walking in public that very second she would have the boys falling at her feet regardless. Could nothing spoil her perfect features? Elphaba considered how unfair it was that some people naturally had it and she, well she would never have it. Still what she lacked in beauty she made up for in brains, Elphaba was quite convinced Galinda had nothing between that pretty head of hers.

Elphaba took a few quick strides across the room, which Galinda found extremely disconcerting and began to struggle with her breath once more. Elphaba walked towards the window and grabbed the edge of the frame; she pushed it upwards allowing a welcome relief of air into the room. She wanted so desperately to hold onto the rage she had felt minutes before but looking at Galinda she simply found her pathetic to the point of absurdity.

“Why don’t you come over to the window and get some air.”

Elphaba expected Galinda to see reason and move over towards the fresh air but instead she lifted her hand to her brow and spoke as if to herself; “ How can it be? The green one speaks.”

Elphaba let out another loud snort. Galinda had to be the most infuriating person she had ever met and her life had been full of people staring, laughing and avoiding her. Still she tried again; fearing that if she didn’t Galinda would give a repeat performance of earlier that day.

“I really think you should try and get some air Miss Galinda.”

Galinda let a tremble overtake her whole body; this was the worst day of her entire life. Public humiliation and a room mate who scared her to death. As Elphaba had struggled with her luggage she had quickly made her way to her room and thrown herself on the nearest bed, full of shame and embarrassment. Her big day had been ruined when it was all going so well by that terrible green creature. Then Madame Morrible had made a fool of her and worse still she didn’t look perfect anymore. She was terrified of what people were saying about her, were they laughing behind her back? Would they ever love her now? How ever would she cope with the terrifying green girl who was to be her roommate? All these things rushed around her head along with a much more terrifying fear. What if the greenness was contagious? There was certainly something highly unnatural about being green and if anyone was going to catch it, it was bound to be her, living in such close proximity. This was unbearable. Galinda didn’t want to be green. Then there was that odd look in the green girl’s eyes, such power and force, such vicious anger, probably all directed at her. She simply knew she wasn’t going to survive her days at Shiz.

Elphaba watched Galinda tremble again; this was really starting to bother her. She couldn’t help but feel she was being a little hard done to. After all she had barely said two words to the other girl. She hadn’t done anything frightening to Galinda, unless you counted being green and she really couldn’t help that. Galinda was being ridiculous and just a tad childish and Elphaba recognised that if she didn’t do something soon to make the blonde snap out of it she was going to make herself very sick. She had to take matters into her own hands and Galinda let out another loud sob.

Despite her phobia of touching another person Elphaba moved over to Galinda and roughly grabbed her by the shoulders. She began to push her in the direction of the window but Galinda was stubborn and dug her heels in. Elphaba had had just about enough. She seized her dainty pink hands in her own and pulled her quickly, harshly towards the window. Galinda let out a loud scream, anyone passing would think she was being murdered and Elphaba finally let go of her by the edge of the window.

Galinda held on to the window ledge, feeling terribly queasy from the contact she had suffered from the other girl. She found she was finally glad of the air and rather ungracefully shoved her head out into the Shiz air. She took in a few huge gasps of air and looked down at her hands, what was happening to them?

Elphaba spoke quietly from somewhere behind her, “Looks like I’ll be moving the rest of your luggage through. Nothing new there then.”

Galinda took another huge gasp of air, hoping the feeling of sickness would abate sooner rather than later and willing her hands to stop that dreadful thing they were doing. She filled her lungs with air once more and finally plucked up the courage to speak quietly, “I couldn’t possibly…”

Elphaba shook her head in disdain, “I know.”

Half an hour later when Elphaba had battle with the last of the cases she laid down on her bed in a sheer state of exhaustion. Her head was pounding and she felt truly miserable. She had carried every single one of Galinda’s cases into the room without a word of thanks from the blonde girl. She was sweaty and pale and felt a real sense of discomfort in the room with Galinda.

Galinda had come round a little and had fallen to unpacking her numerous dresses in a logical and colour co-ordinated manner. Elphaba tried not to, but she couldn’t help staring at the wonders coming out of cases. There wasn’t one outfit she considered normal, she had no idea what Galinda was going to wear on a day to day basis, unless Elphaba had left a case somewhere on the way. They were all elegant ball gowns, specially designed Elphaba considered. She had though Galinda was dressed today for the special occasion of her arrival but apparently not, apparently this was the way Galinda always dressed. Elphaba raised an eyebrow as Galinda opened yet another suitcase and began to pull pair after pair of shoes out, matching them up accordingly with her outfits. Did Galinda really have a pair of shoes for every dress? There was every colour and style imaginable. Still if it prevented Galinda from crying even for a few minutes it was just fine with Elphaba.

Elphaba looked down at her own boots uncomfortably. They were a light shade of brown and scuffed. Elphaba felt strangely self-conscious about the fact that nothing she wore matched. Her dark blue dress was a strange cut, covering as much green skin as possible and not exactly flattering. Her hair was tied tightly back in the bun she favoured to keep it off her face and she covered even that with a strange hat that Nessa called a tea cosy. This was ridiculous, how could they expect her to share a room with Miss Galinda Upland? They were in different leagues in so many ways. Really it was deeply unfair on both of them. Elphaba didn’t want to unpack her own meagre suitcase in front of Galinda; she decided she would wait until the blonde girl had taken her leave, which she expected to be as soon as possible.

Unexpectedly Galinda did not shoot off when her unpacking was complete and she had laid out her make-up and many toiletries in the bathroom they were expected to share. Instead she placed her last suitcase under her bed and simply sat down at the desk she had decided was hers. She moved the chair to face away from Elphaba and held her head in her hands.
Back to top Go down
Elphie Lives
Munchkinlander
Munchkinlander
Elphie Lives

PostSubject: Re: Brand New Gelphie Story following the book   Brand New Gelphie Story following the book Icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2007 9:12 am

Chaper 2 / Part 2

Suddenly a new feeling came over Elphaba as she felt the weight of the world on Galinda’s shoulders. Guilt crept through her body as she looked at the other girl. This wasn’t what she had wanted. She didn’t want to have this effect on anyone, let alone the most popular girl in Shiz. Elphaba knew she would have been public enemy number one without this escapade to add to her woes. After all Galinda had come to Shiz to shine, she had planned out her time at university to a tee and then Elphaba had come along and upset the balance. She had been stuck with the green girl against her wishes, the girl who had the power to ruin everything for her, just by being there. Elphaba didn’t want that. She wasn’t in the habit of breaking anyone’s dreams and in a strange way she did kind of feel for the other girl. She knew Galinda’s expectations of Shiz, these you could tell just from looking at her. She wanted fame and glamour and she could have had it; that was clear from the anticipation that had followed her arrival. Yet now it seemed almost out of reach. Elphaba could almost understand why the blonde girl had been shattered. She was sure she could have had the pick of all they boys at Shiz but who would ever want to come back to her room now? Now that the green girl was there. Fury filled her body, but she found it no longer directed at Galinda. Madame Morrible had done this deliberately to shatter Galinda’s dreams, she was sure of it. She simply couldn’t imagine her father asking Madame Morrible for a role model for her to follow. He didn’t care enough; after all it was Nessa that was destined for great things. It didn’t fit in. This was Madame Morrible’s own intervention. It wasn’t even as if Galinda had been looking for trouble, she had done nothing to provoke Morrible into such a reaction, other than being Galinda the silly airhead. Now Galinda would be a laughing stock, was that what Morrible wanted? They would laugh at her stuck in a room with the horrible, green monstrosity. Yet none of this was actually Galinda’s fault, she was a victim in all this, much like Elphaba, she saw that now. Morrible wanted Galinda to be frightened, her nature wasn’t used to such sights, her temperament was so naturally good; she didn’t need exposing to this sort of thing. After all she was just a girl who wanted to be popular, that was her only crime, if you could call it a crime. Elphaba shouldn’t be out to make things worse for Galinda, for some reason that was what Morrible wanted. She wouldn’t be part of that. Elphaba would make it as easy as she could on Galinda; she wasn’t out to hurt anyone.

Elphaba sat up on her bed and spoke as softly as she could manage, “You know this doesn’t have to be as bad as you think.”

Galinda shifted uncomfortably and spoke in a soft sob, “As bad as I think. What about what everyone else is thinking?”

Elphaba thought for a moment, “They will be thinking poor Miss Galinda, being shut away with that wretched girl.”

Despite herself Galinda slowly turned around, “Wretched?” she asked softly.

Elphaba indicated to her skin tone, “Well yeah. I mean come on, I’m green.”

Galinda began to turn her chair around to face Elphaba, showing a little interest.

“Have you always been…”

“Green,” Elphaba finished for her. “Yes.”

Galinda cursed herself for allowing herself to get distracted. She decided to get back to the point in hand. “They’ll be laughing at me.” There was a moment’s silence, “Like they laugh at you,” she added.

“Thanks,” Elphaba tried not to sound hurt. “Still it doesn’t have to be a total disaster. Not if you work with me.”

“You have a plan?” Galinda’s eyes lit up with the prospect of getting rid of Elphaba once and for all.

“Not exactly a plan but a way to keep your reputation intact.”

Galinda looked a little disappointed that there was no mention of Elphaba leaving but still she sat up with interest and focused her attention onto the green figure.

“I’m listening.”

Elphaba stopped and considered for a minute. She had to weigh this up carefully. She was already destined to be a figure of hatred within Shiz so what more harm could her plan do? It was the only answer, the only way to keep Galinda sane.

“Tell them stories. Lies. Wicked things I do. Weird habits I have. Make incredible things up to scare them. Make them frightened of me to the point of no return.”

“You want me to lie about you?” Galinda looked astonished and if perfectly honest she did not see the point in such an exercise, after all her mind wasn’t made to think in such a way.

“It’s hardly lying. You are scared of me and they are too, just bump up my reputation a little.” Elphaba paused, hardly believing she was suggesting such things just to protect Galinda’s reputation. “That way people will feel ridiculously sorry for you and love you all the more. It will poor Miss Galinda and everyone will want to protect you from me.”

“I will be gloriously vulnerable and boys love that,” Galinda smiled.

“What more could you want?”

“But Miss Elphaba, that’s so…well, that’s so kind.”

Elphaba was stopped in full swing. It was the first time Galinda had used her name and it came as quite a shock. She looked towards the window next to her bed. She knew it was kind, too kind for what Galinda deserved and yet she still wanted to protect her if she could. Something about Madame Morrible’s treatment of Galinda had really bothered her to the point where she was willing to risk Nessa’s wrath and swallow her own anger. There was no need for two reputations to be tainted by the fear of her greenness. Galinda wasn’t strong enough to survive the damage that could be done; she wouldn’t survive another public humiliation. Elphaba knew she would.

“Well I’m not doing it to be kind,” Elphaba lied, “After all I have an image to keep up too. You will just be helping me. Think of it like that.”

Again Galinda looked astonished, “ Why surely you can’t want that image, so terrifying and wicked. Who could? You would have to be…well…warped Miss Elphaba.”

“Look at me.” Elphaba felt a surge of anger grow inside her as she snapped; Galinda wasn’t exactly making this easy.

Silence invaded the room and it was a long time before either of them spoke again.

In the silence Galinda had been thinking through Elphaba’s suggestion and although the idea seemed perfect in saving her own status, well it didn’t exactly seem good and after all she wanted to be famous for her goodness. Galinda didn’t really have a bad bone in her body; she was just somewhat misguided by appearances and easily led along by others. Yet this was different, this just seemed bad. Galinda had no feelings for the green girl other than fear an inbuilt dislike but could she really harm her in such a way? It wasn’t exactly in her nature.

Galinda spoke her thoughts out loud, “I’m not sure I can tell such nasty lies Miss Elphaba. It just doesn’t seem good.”

Elphaba rolled her eyes, was this obsession with her being Galinda the good really that strong? Why couldn’t this silly girl just take her advice, couldn’t she see it was Galinda the good she was trying to save?

“Well if you want that way you will need to act just a little bit. Don’t think of it as lying; think of it as a great performance. I know what a brilliant actress you are, I’ve seen it with my own eyes don’t forget.”

Galinda looked puzzled.

“Your entry today wasn’t exactly natural now was it?” Elphaba added so that Galinda understood.

“Still…”

“No. My mind is made up. This way we both get what we want. You get to save your glorious popularity and I get avoided at all costs so that I can get on with my studies in peace. Otherwise think what they will say about you, sharing a room with me. Think how they will laugh.”

Galinda let out a short gasp as she clearly thought about the terrible prospect of them laughing behind her back or worse still to her face.

“Exactly.”

Elphaba winced inwardly. This was exactly what her father had instructed her not to do. She was supposed to think of Nessa, she was supposed to remember Nessa always came first. Still she couldn’t put up with Galinda’s crying and moping all year long. She couldn’t see Morrible achieve whatever it was she had set out to achieve. This had to be done despite the warnings she heard in her head.

Elphaba looked to Galinda for reassurance that she would go along with the idea. Galinda looked down at her feet, mulling it over in her mind. It did seem like the best way forward after all Galinda wanted to make the most friends, share secrets with the girls, she wanted to have the pick of the boys at Shiz, she wanted to be the centre of attention, the heart and soul of Shiz. It was perhaps a little harsh on Elphaba but Galinda figured she had probably never had it easy so what would one more rejection matter.

“Okay. I’ll do it,” Galinda seemed a little shocked at the ease with which this came out.

“Good.”

Elphaba found a strange sort of sense of satisfaction in protecting Galinda at the cost of her own reputation. What had become of the Elphaba of a few hours ago? Here she was putting herself on the line for someone she hardly knew and even worse someone she detested. Still if it would stop the sobbing it would well be worth it and it might even offer her the chance for some peace and quiet to concentrate fully on her studies, rather than being the centre of unwanted attention. Galinda did attention so much better than her she determined.

“In return I want something from you Miss Galinda.”

Galinda’s eyes opened wide with fear, what could she possible have that the green girl wanted?

“Don’t look like that. It is something that will suit you just as much as it suits me. Seen as we have to share this room it makes sense to make some kind of an agreement. If you could let me know when you intend to be in I will make sure I am out and vice versa. Then we won’t ever have to be cooped up her together. It will allow us both the space we need. Obviously we will both have to sleep in here but look at it this way, you won’t be able to see me when you’re asleep, that way I can’t scare you.”

Galinda practically leaped with joy at the suggestion but then looked a little weaker as the thought of staying overnight with the green girl entered her head. She felt she would have to always sleep with one eye open to make sure she was safe.

“I think I will probably sleep out a lot anyway.”
Elphaba raised an eyebrow at Galinda’s assumption and Galinda blushed, realising what she must sound like.

“I mean at girlie sleepovers,” she added thoughtfully.

“Right,” Elphaba found herself suppressing a giggle.

“I expect I will be invited to plenty of parties and social gatherings so you needn’t worry about me being here too often. A quick costume change or touch up of my make-up is all I will need. Though if I do intend to be home I will let you know to avoid any unwanted meetings.”

“Well I expect I shall be studying here a lot but I can always go over to the library if you want to stay in, or even have friends over I guess. Don’t worry I will stay away from you at lectures and meal times too.” She felt a touch of resentment in her voice as she spoke.

“Super!” Galinda announced as she brightened up for the first time that day, clearly delighted at the prospect of a no Elphaba zone in her life. Still there was just one more thing bothering her that she had to get off her chest while she was feeling not so scared. “Can we agree just one more thing?”

Elphaba looked oddly surprised, was there no end to the demands Galinda could place on her?

Galinda blushed a little as she spoke nervously, “Well…before…when you, you know…grabbed me.”

Elphaba nodded.

“Well it wasn’t very comfortable for me.”

It was Elphaba’s turn to be speechless. She opened her mouth and shut it again with no sound coming out.

Galinda swallowed hard before continuing, “Well…ever since…ever since you touched me, my fingers haven’t stopped tingling and I can’t say I altogether like it.”

Elphaba nodded again, not knowing exactly what to say.

“I wasn’t sure if there was maybe something in your skin that created this effect,” she searched Elphaba’s face looking for an answer that Elphaba could not provide. “Or perhaps it’s an allergic reaction or something but I’d really rather prefer it you didn’t do it again.” Galinda had spoken quicker than she had intended but she felt she had got her point across.

Elphaba nodded again, like she been doing for the past what felt like hour, whilst listening to Galinda talk about the revulsion her skin created.

“Ever,” Galinda finished, sweeping up her dress and heading towards the door without a look back. She clearly didn’t want to wait to hear an answer and in another swift movement she was out of the door, probably skipping her way to start those vicious rumours.

Elphaba felt a rush of wind flow by her from Galinda’s quick departure, the sweet scent of Galinda catching in the air. She could hardly believe what she had just done, had she finally lost her mind? No, it wasn’t that, she just wanted an easy life. The other students of Shiz were going to hate her regardless so what did a few extra rumours matter? She would have peace and quiet in her room to study. Galinda would stay as far away as possible and everyone would be happy.

She looked down at her long green fingertips and studied them hard. The tingling feeling Galinda had so perfectly described was only just beginning to subside in her own fingers. Could it really be that there feelings against each other were so strong that they had created a chemical reaction. Elphaba knew magic was powerful but could it really recognise deep embedded feelings of dislike? She looked doubtfully down at them again as her eyes began to droop. It had been an energy consuming day and she felt sure Galinda would not be returning until nightfall. Sleep began to overtake all her thoughts, even though she knew Nessa would be worrying and that really she should go and ease her mind. Still she had dragged all of Galinda’s suitcases half way around Shiz and deserved a break. Elphaba allowed herself to drift off, concentrating on the slow, gentle easing of that powerful tingling feeling that had taken over.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brand New Gelphie Story following the book   Brand New Gelphie Story following the book Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Brand New Gelphie Story following the book
Page 1 of 1